We are moving... sigh... sniff... smile...
I've experienced and continue to experience a variety of emotions throughout the day, everyday. However, I was reminded of a verse (thanks kristin! I could so relate to your blog!) in Proverbs 19,verse 21 to be exact Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
I had a plan for my life. A plan to go to college and become a physical therapist. I thought 25, 27 yrs. would be a good age to get married and one thing was for sure, I determined to never marry a military man. I wanted to live in a cozy house with my four children in good ol' SA forever. But God had different plans for my life, better plans. Some have been more of a challenge than others.
I focused on my school during college. Keeping my grades up was important if I wanted to attend the PT program of my choice. I did everything in my power to give me the advantage I thought I would need to choose the program I wanted, to keep with my plan. My life was pretty routine, wake-up, work-out, green tea, classes, lunch (tuna&salad, chicken&salad, or whole wheat sandwich), work (PT clinic), dinner, homework, set my alarm for 6am, bedtime routine, zzzzz. It wasn't until my wonderful friend Amy lynn Elkins insisted that if I was going to see her I must go to "The Call" (our church singles group). I avoided it. But I found out she was serious and once again saw her stubborn side (I thank the Lord for that side, because it has been a blessing to me many a time)=) . So, I decided to go play softball and attend the evening bible study. Long story short, that is when God began to loosen my grip on "my plans" and decided it was time I cling to Him as He began to unfold His plan. The Call is where I met my husband, Nate. He was military at the time, AF. That's right, I married a military man. Shortly after we were married ( I was 22 yrs. old, a few years shy of my ideal 27 yrs.-haha), we realized we were pregnant with our 1stborn - Mya. We also decided that Nate would not re-enlist and we would become a part of the contracting world. As we waited, for longer than we had planned, for Nate's contract to start, God began to show me and teach me something He has had to teach me over and over again for the last 4 years - patience, trust in His perfect plan. It would take too long to write of all the situations He has used to teach me, but the most recent is our anticipated move to the East coast. In June, I gave birth to our 3rd child. I decided a adding to a puppy to the mix would be challenging, but worth it in the long run, even though I knew it would take the chaos up a notch or two. =) A couple days later, Nate received a job offer that he would later accept (once he knew he was accepted). End of July, is when they asked him to start working on Sept.29th. What?! was my response. So, here we are, hoping our house sells and doing are best to work out the details for a move that I know will be challenging with 3 little ones and a puppy. Do we attempt to drive or fly? Where do we live? Nate will be starting out in Sterling, VA, but will most likely work in Maryland after a "couple" months (note: "couple" could mean anything), which means we could be moving twice in a year. Not being settled and have familiar surroundings goes against every grain in my body. All this change... change of hormones, change in our family with two wonderful additions, change of living, change of weather for goodness sake ( I have no idea how to live where snow is a reality, not just words to a Christmas song!). It is during times like this that I rely and depend on what doesn't change. The One who created me and gave me all I have. The Bible tell us that "every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows"(James1:17) He has give me so many gifts, my children, my husband, and yes, this job for Nate that entails so much change! but one thing is sure, as the book of Hebrews declares "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews13:8) So even though, I will not live in S.A. 4-ever, as I had once planned, I will be okay. More than that, I, our family, will be GREAT because our heavenly father has a plan and is our constant.
You do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James4:14
I've always admired and loved the story of Esther in the bible. Talk about a woman of strength! My favorite book is Esther a woman of Strength and Dignity by Charles Swindoll (read it if you get the chance!). Esther was snatched from her uncle and taken to a palace, a world very different from her own. I like how Chuck put it, "And so, we're off on another exciting unusual journey. the road will take several surprising twists and turns, but don't worry; we have not lost our way. We're simply following the Leader, who has a way of keeping us wondering at times where we are going and why it seems so confusing on this journey called life. But the good news is this: He knows what He is about. His way may not be as we expected, but it is the only way to go."
It has been almost a good 8 years since I read this book last and I feel it is time to read it again. The first chapter is God's Invisible Providence. Doesn't that say it all?
I determine to be like Esther, to smile at the future, even though there may be some times I feel like crying. I know God is changeless, His hand is in it all, and when I step back and take a good look from a different perspective of all the change. I realize, all-in-all, it is good change. Yes, it saddens me to leave my family and close friends, but this change is good and I have nothing to complain or fret about. I pray for God's strength, to be a woman of strength.
"Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely i will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Psalm 32:8
I am relying on God for the energy and strength this move will require. I pray for God's strength to be the helpmate and I am called to be to my husband. I release my grip on all that is familiar and get ready to embrace what lies ahead!
~liz
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment