This week has been full... no surprise, since every week usually is. With Nate's cousin in town, we have about town more than usual - shopping and eating. I'm not sure if I will be able to hold off those extra pounds before the baby comes.
Before the baby comes... I have been trying to get quite a bit done here (around the house) and there (baby things I have to get). I also realize that just as we are slowly exiting the itty-baby stage with Audrey, we are getting ready to enter into it again with our new little one. So, I try to take advantage of sleep and the little bit of extra time I have to do things I enjoy. I take pleasure in the simple things, as most mothers with lots of little kids do I suppose, like using the restroom as more than a restroom. Using it as a little reading nook (is this too detailed=)?). Before the kids awake, and all is quiet, I enjoy a proverb or psalm for the day. I have found that I have a difficult time getting all my "bible" in at time during the day and have decided to spread it out. I think that works better for me, because it keeps me focused on God throughout the day. Since, I have now been going to the dr. weekly, I try to take Charles Swindoll's book Daily Grind I with me to read while I wait. I love how he takes the Psalms and Proverbs and breaks them down. Today, while reading Proverbs 4 I was reminded of the importance of wisdom. I was also, reminded by D.G.I how david was able to maintain wisdom during some of the most difficult times in his life. I could go on and on... but I have decided to just give you Proverbs 4, so that you may glean from it what you will.
Hear, my children, the instruction of a father, and give attention to know understanding; For I give you good doctrine:
Do not forsake my law. When I was my father's son, Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother, he also taught me, and said to me: "Let you heart retain my words; keeep my commands, and live. Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will preserve you; love her and she will keep you.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Exalt her, and she will promote you; she will bring you honor, when you embrace her. She will place on your head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory she will deliver to you." Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, and the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in right paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hindered. And when you run, you will not stumble. Take firm hold of intruction, do not let go; keep her for she is your life.
Liz: So do ya think getting wisdom and understanding is important? =) I think the point has been made that I, that we all, must pursue it with all we have. But why? So many reasons, but I have found that vs.14 (where we left off) gives us one. David, was able to maintain wisdom while fleeing from King Saul. He was able to maintain perspective and act in a godly manner because of wisdom. What seems like a simple concept, but difficult to maintain when going through trying and tumultuous times. Swindoll, dives into Ps. 26:1-12, which I don't have time to at the moment and will later examine the proverbs of solomon. Take some time to do that, maybe I will next posting. For now, enough of me, and back to Proverbs.
Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn away from it and pass on. For they do not sleep unless they have done evil; and their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.
The way of the wicked is like darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.
My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put perverse lips far from you. Let your eyes look straight ahead, and you eyelids look right before you. Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established. Do not turn to the right or the left; remove your foot from evil.
Proverbs 4:1-27
Liz: I love the verse on "keep your heart with all diligence..." The emphasis put on keeping our heart "with ALL diligence" implies to me, that it is not something that comes naturally. We must strive for wisdom and understanding. We must work at keeping our heart.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment