I know I've written before on the physical discomfort I've experienced with this pregnancy. I don't know if it's because I'm not getting a balanced workout, or the fact that this my 3rd (but it's not like I'm having my 6th!), or if it's the way my baby is positioned... all I know is that I have felt pain in areas I have never experienced before.
It all started at the beginning of my 3rd trimester. I felt larger, heavier, like I was carrying lower, which isn't obvious to anyone but me because of my short torso. First, my discomfort was brought on by PGP (pelvic girdle pain) pretty common I guess, but something I'd never suffered from before. Well, I guess I had a mild case with Audrey, but it was much worse this time around. After reading the symptoms, one example being pain when lifting legs ( could barely lift my legs to get into the car!), I immediately knew I was suffering from PGP. The PGP began after I experienced some cervical bleeding. I don't know if the 2 were connected or not, but thank the Lord they both eventually stopped. a couple weeks later, I began with SPD (symphisis pubis dysfunction) and sometimes feel this pain after doing to much physical activity. All symptoms started after moving some heavy objects - oops! I laughed when I saw that one of the suggestions for relieving the pain is to avoid the large shopping strollers at the grocery store. The day my cervical bleeding (and PGP shortly thereafter), I had taught 2 aerobic classes, lifted weights (attempting to keep something in shape-sigh), cleaned house, AND had pushed this massive grocery cart at HEB. It was on of the larger ones that can seat two kids, plus it had a huge red car attached to the front. My girls always beg to ride in them and I thought it would be fun for them. I probably looked hilarious, all disheveled from teaching, sweaty, 7 1/2months pregnant, pushing a HUGE cart filled with groceries for the week. My SPD symptoms began a couple weeks later. I have stayed away from the leg weights, which was something I was able to continue to end with my other 2. My vanity has been tested everytime I look at my legs and feel my legs turning to mushy blobby somethings. However, my pain (google and read symptoms to understand) has greatly decreased. Yesterday, I started with some pain in my tailbone. This is yet another pain I've never experienced with my other pregnancies. So, I googled to read up on how to relieve this annoying symptom. Although, I know that there are many reasons for my different discomforts over this past trimester, a common thread seem to be weak pelvic floor muscles. I have been a naughty girl when it comes to the exercises and may be paying the price. I'm determined to be better about tightening these little, but oh so necessary muscles today and in the future because supposedly my problems will only worsen with each pregnancy - oh joy. However, despite my discomfort, I am grateful for the good health I am in and this pregnancy. I always try to see the glass half-full. For instance, when I can't keep any food down, I think of people suffering from chemo-treatments. How blessed I am that what's making me sick is a precious gift of God rather than a scary tumor! I am grateful that my symptoms haven't been around since my 1st or 2nd trimester like it is for some and that I am not bedridden because of them. I just pray my tailbone holds up during the delivery process!
Speaking of tailbone... I've been sitting long enough and need to walk around a bit.
Kind of a side note, I bought new running shoes for myself for m-day. I'm so stoked about being able to run again. I know, I know, I still have weeks before I can really sweat it out, but at least I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Can't wait to begin my leg weights again as well! Probably seems a little weird to some reading this.... but I love my workouts!
All in good time... most of all can't wait to meet our son.
Happy friday!
~Elizabeth
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well I completely understand...I never googled my symptoms I just accepted the fact that MY BODY WAS FALLING APART!!! I had 2 amazing preg's and then it all came to an end, just like peace in our home with the 3rd...LOL! Ahhhh just kidding, although most of the uproar around here does happen because of him and so my pain began.
BUT my deliveries are GREAT!!! I would prefer that, since I have them at home!!! I will take the aches that come with preg. But mine with 3 and 4 began much earlier....3rd it was 6 months, with 4th it began almost immediately....Unfortunately the same reason....those special little muscles that needed attention after every delivery that I too neglected! I am trying to get better....but I think 4 might be enough for us! We feel complete and very satisfied!
Hope you can go for a long run soon! Oh yeah...I don't really love the cardio but I LOVE weights! It gets addicting!
Post a Comment